Heroin Rehabs in California
Heroin addiction is spreading like wildfire across the country, and California is no exception. If you or someone you love is addicted to this drug and looking for help, rehab is probably the answer. Finding the right rehab in California can seem like an insurmountable feat–especially when you’re in the throes of serious addiction–but plenty of options and resources exist. By educating yourself about what heroin rehabs are all about, the services that they offer and other relevant information, you can more easily find qualified help for yourself or a loved one.
Heroin Addiction: A Growing Problem
From 2002 to 2013, the rate of heroin addiction in the U.S. has grown by 63 percent. The problem is becoming more severe in California too. When compared to the first six months of 2013, ERs and hospitals in California in the first half of 2014 saw a 10-percent uptick in cases related to the drug. Unfortunately, treatment rates fall far short. In California between 2009 and 2013, only 12.6 percent of those who needed addiction treatment received it.
How to Get Help
Many treatment options are available for this type of addiction. Detox is typically the first step, and suboxone is usually prescribed. Suboxone helps to manage withdrawal symptoms to make the detox process easier and safer. Because suboxone itself can be addictive, however, it is important to only use it as prescribed and while under a doctor’s supervision. That is what you will get at the right rehab, which is why it is so important to do plenty of research before selecting one.
For many people, the first step in getting treatment is paying a visit to their primary care physician. If you have one, this may be the easiest way to go, as they may be able to refer you to a treatment center that suits your needs and lifestyle. For example, if you and your partner both require treatment, they may be able to suggest rehabs that offer services to couples.
Services Offered at Heroin Treatment Centers
As mentioned previously, rehabs that specialize in treating this particularly difficult addiction are readily available throughout the state of California. The services that are offered vary from place to place, but most of them offer the following:
- Medical Detox – Aided by suboxone and other medications, the drug is safely removed from your bloodstream through a monitored detox process. For withdrawal symptoms, which can be dangerous, suboxone is most commonly used.
- Intensive Outpatient – In this case, you visit the center during the day for behavioral, pharmacological, educational, therapeutic and supportive drug treatment. You go home at night.
- Residential Programs – You receive the same array of services, but you stay at the drug treatment center around the clock.
- Transitional Programs – Transitional homes, or sober living facilities, act as stepping stones for those who are ready to start rebuilding their lives.
- Special Populations – Many rehabs offer services for specific populations, including couples, children, women and seniors.
Finding a rehab for heroin addiction in California doesn’t have to be difficult. From detox to the day that you can confidently say that you’re no longer addicted, the right rehab will get you where you need to be.